Sr. Software Engineer, Data Platform Team
A Software Engineer on the Data Platform Team at CafeMedia continually improves and extends systems that speed up data product development by providing automation and abstraction. Developers in this role should have strong programming skills and knowledge of software development practices including testing, CI/CD, and design patterns. Proficiency in Python and/or Scala is preferred. In addition to technical skills, engineers on the Data Platform Team must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as they are responsible for training other teams to use the tools they develop. The position reports to the Engineering Manager of the Data Platform within the Technical Operations department.
This is a senior-level position and the engineer will be expected to quickly contribute to team velocity, work independently, provide guidance to others on the team, and propose new technologies and product features. Significant experience working with cloud data warehouses, Helm, Kubernetes, and Airflow will help an applicant succeed in the role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing and maintaining a suite of internal tools to facilitate rapid data product development
- Providing guidance and training to team members on best practices for developing extensible distributed systems
- Leading investigations into future tools that may benefit internal or external stakeholders
- Working closely the the Data Platform Product Manager to identify high value additions to our tools
- Building relationships with open source communities, and identifying opportunities for the team to get involved
The skills and experience you’ll bring to the job:
- Fluency with Helm and Kubernetes
- Extensive experience with the AWS ecosystem
- Knowledge of data pipelines and orchestration tools
- A history of driving value and excelling in an agile environment
- Strong opinions and a passion for excellence
- Real life experiences, and a desire to participate in a team with a variety of backgrounds
In the first 3 months you will:
- Gain familiarity with our existing tooling
- Learn about the business and our stakeholders
- Contribute to the codebase
- Participate as a full member of the team in design and planning discussions
After 6 months you will have:
- Led research and design on a complex feature addition
- Provided guidance and insight to influence the direction of the product
- Helped others around you grow by leading by example
CafeMedia’s mission is to build a creator-first future. We empower the world’s best creators and independent publishers to grow thriving businesses for the long term. Under our CafeMedia and AdThrive brands, we manage digital advertising sales and technology and a growing number of services for more than 3,600 creators and independent publishers. We make it easy for them to focus on what they do best — produce great content.
Our passion and expertise have made us a leader in advertising and creator services. Today we rank as the 7th largest digital property in the U.S. and #1 in Food, Home, and Lifestyle--with a reach of nearly 187M monthly unique visitors in the U.S. alone.
To learn more about working at CafeMedia, visit: https://cafemedia.com/careers/
CafeMedia is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. CafeMedia is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please reach out to a member of our recruiting team.